Search This Blog

Saturday 11 January 2014

Our Builders are Incompetent

In this whole building process the thing I have come to regret most is our choice in builders. I understand that no build is ever smooth sailing- especially when building custom- but I didn't expect these kinds of continual stupid mistakes that we never receive an apology for and usually takes weeks to get the builder to admit an error has been made and then to begin to fix it.

My husband and I had been finding it strange that we had not had to pay a progress payment since July '13 and yet both ground floor and top floor bricks had been completed which are meant to be two separate payments. After reaping the benefits of not having to pay extra interest we thought it was about time to enquire about it. Sure enough we got an email replying that the ground floor had just been processed that day and that top floor would be next week. HOW COINCIDENTAL! No thank you for being honest and good customers and pointing it out.

Then we went out today to look at recent plumbing work and found several items wrong that reflected things in earlier plans that we had changed. For example they automatically included gas hood and regulator on original plans which we had removed as we decided to be independent of gas but now there looks to be provisions for it on site. There are also two exposed pipes running from floor to ceiling in my walk in robe and one of the kids built in robes.....I have never in my life seen exposed piping in a house and what a nuisance to have in your wardrobes (or anywhere for that matter.) You may remember on the other side of the wardrobe we had to grin and bear the last minute inclusion of two aircon ducts that take up almost a third of the space we had planned on having.

We have asked that they inform us of the plans to correct all the mistakes by the end of tomorrow as my husband and I have the day off for our ultrasound. This better not wreck what should otherwise be a fantastic day!

After already having it in the plans that my bath spout would be in the middle of the bath the builders suddenly moved it to the side for an easy fix. I complained and they fixed it but here the plumbing is showing it back on the side.

The random pipe in my walk in robe :-(

We also realised we never checked the height of the vanities and discovered they are actually quite low. Nothing we can do about it now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment